Thursday 18 March 2021

8th March - 18th March - You May See the Floating Motion of a Distant Pair of Wings

The early part of March saw some very pleasant weather and with it came the early butterflies.  The first butterfly of the year had been a Peacock that was flying around the garden on the 24th February but never stopped.  That was put straight on the 9th as I took myself off for a walk around the pond and Old Down Wood at lunchtime.  As I arrived this Peacock presented itself on the path leading around the pond on the north west side.


It was also good to see at least eight Mallard on the pond, their numbers slowly building up once again after the cold spell.  This drake looked so smart in the spring sunshine.


Above the calls of Buzzards could be heard, their "mewing" piercing the silence.  Looking up they could be seen circling on the thermals above the pond.

From the pond I walked into Old Down Wood.  As I came out into the open part of the path where there is significant bracken on both sides of the path something caught my eye to the right.  I stopped looked a little closer and found a male Brimstone sunning on the bracken leaves.


I reached the crossroads and turned left heading west, I was looking to keep out in the open in places where the ride would be lit by the sun.  This proved the right decision as I came across a Small Tortoiseshell, sunning again, on the path.


On the way back I came across two Long-tailed Tits that were together in amongst the bramble.  One flew straight past me as if I wasn't there, while the other watched me carefully.  I cam only assume they either had a nest that they were building close by, or that they were prospecting for a suitable site.


Back at the pond I was taken by this Lesser Celandine flower contrasted on the bank of the pond by the dark water of the pond.


Back home in the garden the male Blackcap has been joined by a female.

She turned up on the 9th and immediately settled on the feeders, she has been present along with the male on and off up to the 19th March.


The Starlings are very active now, we hear them in the morning in the roof as they wake up.  As the sun comes up they sit in the trees and chatter away showing off that beautiful petrol coloured plumage.



On the 18th I had to break up a couple of male Starlings that were locked in battle on the lawn

Our Wren is still with us and has become even tamer coming to the dish on the back door and exploring around the patio table.  If I go out it will fly to the bush, but clearly watches me and immediately comes out and to the dishes once I move away.

In fact feeding the birds has become a very busy chore just lately and I have had to bring in support.


The Robins appear to be paired and the only fighting comes when one or the other comes on to the wrong side of the garden.  There then ensues a lot of breast showing, wagging of heads and some high squeaks, fortunately they haven't actually engaged in combat, I suppose they both know that there is ample food for all.


Other notable sightings through the period were a Goldcrest in song somewhere in the garden on the 12th and Red Kite regular visitors over the house and garden through out.

On the night of the 16th I tried out my new moth trap.  A little smaller and more compact it has a bright UV light.  The trap itself is assembled with velcro which makes it easy to store and it will be possible to take away when and if we are allowed to do so.

I wasn't expecting much on this first outing, but the skies were clear so I thought there might be a chance of a t least a few and a good time to start the year list.

In the morning I was relieved to see there were at l;east a few moths present, it was then a case of identification and photographing to start the year list, I sense there may be a little bit of competition this year.

So here we go, the first up were Four Early Grey.


One Common Quaker


Two Twin Spot Quaker.


The most numerous as ever, with six Hebrew Character.


And finally one Chestnut.


In the wild part of the garden the Snake's Head Fritillaries are coming into flower, it looks like this will be the first of many.


The last weeks of March look like continuing dry, so hopefully we will see more butterflies and the start of the arrival of the summer migrants

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.