Monday 8 March 2021

24th February - 7th March - The More He Saw The Less He Spoke

 The weather at the end of February became very spring like, but with a cold start in the morning.  As a result it was time to watch the garden for the first butterfly appearance of the year.  First up was a Peacock, surprisingly on the 24th an overcast day, the butterfly was buzzing the dining room window and didn't stop for a photograph.  The honour of the first photographed butterfly of the year went to a Small Tortoiseshell, captured in the garden on the 26th sunning itself on the garden wall.


Out and around Four Marks there were the signs of Spring and as you walked the lanes you had to keep telling yourself that this wouldn't last and that there were still many dark cold days to come yet.  


Along the verges the yellow Lesser Celandines were flowering, the petals opening and point towards the sun.  This one attracting the interest of a honey bee.


Lords and Ladies broad arrow like leaves were also appearing.


While in the trees the golden tresses of catkins were very welcoming against the blue of the afternoon sky.


Sunshine, blue sky and the richness of the emerging green shoots just made you feel so good.


The good weather lasted through the weekend and was still with us on the first of March.  The day also brought the first Brimstone butterfly of the year, a male that was tucked away on the ivy alongside Brislands Lane.  Usually at this time of year they just wizz past you, not stopping so it was nice to be able to get a photograph or two at the start of the season.



A group of Bullfinch were calling at the junction of Brislands and Gradwell.  This male coming out into the open to show off his amazing plumage.



Heading out along Brislands and into the open, on both sides of the Lane more Lesser Celandines were in bloom.


I walked into Old Down Wood and was greeted by the raucous calls of a pair of Jays.  One perched out in the open.  It is not that easy to get a clear photograph of a Jay as despite their calls they are a very shy bird, normally off at any approach, you really have to try and catch them off guard.


The last time I walked through the wood it was extremely muddy, but with the run of dry and sunny weather the majority of the paths and tracks had dried out.  As always I decided to walk to the owl tree.  Now is about the time it would appear.  As I approached I realised that the light was atrocious, the sun shining directly behind the tree.  I scanned up and down in the area I have found it before but couldn't see anything.  I then came down and found the familiar shape tucked in close to the trunk of the spruce.

Even though I cannot be one hundred percent completely certain, I have to assume this is the same Tawny Owl that I first found in this tree back in 2012.  It can't just be a coincidence that a Tawny Owl can be found in the same tree all these years.  This, then would be the tenth year I have been able to find the Tawny Owl.

I looked at the image on the back of my camera (which was much worse than the one posted here as I was able to "work" on it) and realised that to the left there was another shape, looking closer it was clear that it was another owl.  I have only ever seen two together in the tree once before.

As the light was so bad I left them, deciding to come back again when the light could be better.  This would have to be an overcast day though, as the view point is to the north and the sun would interfere pretty much through out the day.

I made my way back to the main path to leave on Gradwell, but stopped to watch a Nuthatch calling above me.

Both typical Nuthatch poses.


On the way home I noticed that the blackthorn near to the village Hall had burst into blossom, another sign that Spring is not too far away, even if the first is recognised as the start of the meteorological spring

There have been developments in the garden.  The Robins have become a lot more adventurous and this week I have managed to get one to come and take worms from my hand, the first time since last summer.  I know it definitely wasn't Donald, he will come into the house but will not come to the hand.

The Wren, too, has become quite tame and will now wait close by watching me as I fill the dishes.  It also comes to the table and on Saturday perched on my binoculars that were on the table outside.

The Blackbirds though, appear to have gone through a split.  The blackbirds partner of the last three years has moved away and now resides in the hedge to the right, while the male bird, our long standing tame bird appears to be on his own, and is bullied by the female at times if she catches him feeding at the dish.  He still remains the tamest bird though and has found that if he comes close to the house, the others stay away.  It would appear the female has dumped him for a younger version, which according the literature is unusual as they will pair for life.

On Tuesday I went back to Old Down Wood, it was a little later and there was a fair bit of cloud about, so I hoped the light would be better, but of course, first, the Owl had to be there.  Scanning the tree I found it, again close to the trunk, the light a little better.

I couldn't find the other owl though, today it was on its own.

A male Blackcap has been visiting the garden almost every day since the start of the year, in the middle of the week it could be seen in the tree attempting sub song.  I could see the throat moving and could hear a few notes, but despite some coaxing it never burst into full song.




On the same day there were three Red Kite circling over the house.

One breaking away and heading closer.

Saturday, rather than heading off to some of the Hampshire spots, I decided to stay local.  It was a cold morning with some weak sunshine that would turn into brighter sun mid morning before becoming cloudy once again.  

My first stop was to check for Firecrest along the lane opposite Gradwell, but there was nothing singing or showing.  I headed into Old Down Wood, crossing from Gradwell Lane.

I made my way around to the Owl tree, at first I couldn't see anything in the usual spot, but I then heard an alarm call and heard the branches move to see the Tawny Owl fly from the other side of the tree.  I watched as it flew through the trees and I willed it to perch close by, which it did.

Not perfect, but probably the best opportunity I have had to photograph it out in the open, the only problem it had its back to me, there were a few branches in the way and of course the light, the sun just having come out.

Then to my delight it turned around.


I checked the back of the camera to make sure of the exposure, looked back up and it had gone, leaving just more alarm calls.

Despite the sunshine the wood was very quiet, the only birds that could be heard were a pair of Green Woodpecker that were calling and chasing each other around the Larch trees.  They were too far off for any photograph, leaving the wood I walked to the pond where I was pleased to see that there were some duck, the last time I had visited just after the freeze, there were none.  Today there were eight Mallard, unfortunately for the females an imbalance of five males to three females which meant there were some disputes over the female which resulted in one being held under the water as to males fought over her.

I walked to the far side of the pond where there was a beautiful view of the pond in the spring sunshine.

This time of year is ideal for watching and observing Nuthatch, the trees are bare and the Nuthatch are prone to all kinds of calls which gives away their presence quite easily.  The hope is that you can manage to catch them in the classic nuthatch pose, and I did.

It then moved to the main bark of the tree, and combined with the lichen on the bark there are some lovely compositions.





It is now possible to access the path that runs at the back of the pond all the way to Lye Way Lane.  As I walked around the back I disturbed two Stock Dove from the path, one settled on bough above me.

I hear them all the time around the pond but other than a distant view on the roof of the cottage opposite have not been able to get a clear view.  These were much better and another chance this year to appreciate this lovely dove


I left the path and turned on to Lye Way Lane.  I was take my the contrast of the planted field and the currently bare soil of one behind it.

A pair of Buzzard appeared out of the sun above me as I walked towards the farm.


As i turned to approach the farm building a large group of Redwing flew out of the trees and were joined by about a dozen Yellowhammers.  All flew over my head and out into the field to the north of the lane.

Walking along Lye Way now and there was a group of gulls settled in the field.  I could see that these were mostly Common Gull and one left the group and flew past me.

A much larger Lesser Black-backed Gull then flew over, circling the group of gulls on the ground.

The gulls on the ground, consisting of 50 Common Gull, 6 Black-headed Gulls and a single Herring Gull.

The Lesser Black-backed Gull was joined by another and dropped in to join the Common Gull.

In the next field I noticed some strange shapes, then the shapes moved and I realised that they were Brown Hares.  I could make out two in the field.  I had hoped to find them today, but did hope that they could be a little closer.

There was no boxing, this is usually the female fighting off the advances of the male.  These tow seemed to be quite content as they slowly moved away

I then found another three even further away in the middle of another field.  As I watched the Hares a Raven flew over, the shape unmistakable.


From Lye Way I walked around the cottages and then off towards the fields of Plain Farm.  It is ages since I had last been here and I noticed a lot of changes, trees and bushes removed but the wildlife strips retained.  The main road that leads to the cottages still had the hedge alongside it and this held House Sparrows and Yellowhammer

I had two objectives today, to find Brown Hare and Grey Partridge, the Hare were in the bag even though they were a little distant.  Grey Partridge would not be so easy.  As I walked I had scanned the strips for any sign, but without any luck.  At the bottom of the road there is a gap that allows you to view the field and the other side of the hedge.  I could see something that looked partridge like, and taking a photo and zooming in I could make out some brown and grey, but more importantly no white stripes.  There was a good chance this was a Grey Partridge.  I had to go back and try the gap about halfway along the road.

As I crawled through the gap I looked to my left, nothing, but turning to my right there was a Grey Partridge running away from me.  Fortunately it stopped and I had my best Grey Partridge photographs for a long while

When I first found them here back in 2012 I didn't realise at first that they were introduced, then they were protected from the shoot.  Over time a good population has developed and hopefully now I can claim them as semi wild to almost wild.


Satisfied I continued to walk down to the main road.  Lapwings calling caught my attention and one of the largest flocks, 40 birds, I have seen around here flew up


Also of interest was a large flock of around 50 Linnet, which along with the Yellowhammer goes some way to justifying the farming approach of the estate, I still wait for that Corn Bunting though.

I walked along Ropley Road and then turned onto Hawthorn Road.  A large flock of around 250 Fieldfare and 100 Redwing flew across from the till field, some resting in the trees alongside the road.

 

Fieldfare have been very difficult to see, let alone photograph this winter, so it was nice to catch this one framed by the twisted branches of the tree.

The walk home didn't turn up much more, a distant Red Kite following a ploughing tractor the highlight.  It had been a successful walk, getting the Grey Partridge was special as were the Brown Hare, always a delight to see, but the highlight had to be the Tawny Owl in the open for a change. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.