Sunday 1 October 2017

1st October - So I Can Shed My Leaves And Let It Blow Through Me

It has been a strange September, normally we are treated to a warm dry spell, but this year it has been a real mixture, with warm, cold wet and dry spell.  Around here it needs the warm and sunny weather to bring something out, and  this month I have only been able to get out on one of those days.

The month though, did end with a good sighting.  While out on one of our walks on Thursday I noticed a bird of prey over the houses as we walked around Badger Close.  At first I thought it was a Buzzard, but something about the way it was flying was not as you would expect from a Buzzard.  There was a long tail, plus long wings, not the bulky type you would see in a Buzzard.  I ran up the hill to get a better look, and as it banked away with the wings in a classic "V", I could see the pale colour on the head and the leading edge of the wings.  It was a Marsh Harrier, and it drifted away to the south and finally out of view.

Of course no camera, or binoculars but the identification was solid for me, and another bird of prey to add to an impressive list locally, and a new bird for the patch.

As well as this surprise there have been sightings of Swallow all week, and the continued calls of Chiffchaffs in the trees.  The House Martins in Reads Field all seem to have now moved on, and we are left with the small groups of Starlings whirling around the rooftops, attempting murmarations just before dusk

Today though was the first of October, a new month and hopefully a little more productive.  The weather though was not playing ball, and we awoke to rain.  In fairness we had been expecting it as the warnings were that we would be getting the remnants of Hurricane Maria.  Remnants was probably right all we had in the way of wind was a brisk southerly.  By midday the rain had stopped and I took the chance to pop out to start the month off.

As I walked along Brislands there was a breeze, but it was a mild wind.  It was though blowing the leaves about, and it now felt like autumn was well and truly with us.  These overcast conditions though, once again, seemed to keep everything quiet.  There was the odd sequence of Robin song every so often, but apart from that very quiet.  As I reached the junction with Gradwell a Jay called from the Ash tree on the corner.  Always a shy bird this time of year is the best time to see them as they are caching acorns to see through the winter.


As always the Jay managed to hide in amongst the leaves and I was nable to get a better view.  Leaving the Jay another animal collecting nuts ran along the top of a gate, this one a Grey Squirrel, and it was carrying hazel nuts.

As I reached the entrance to Old Down, several Meadow Pipits flew over calling, and heading out into the middle of the field.  Scanning out across the field I could see a Buzzard drifting lazily above what was probably the A31.  As I stood watching the Buzzard, I heard scuffling close by and this cock Pheasant appeared looking quite smart.



The walk through the mud in the wood could have been made a little more easier if there had been anything to see or even hear.  It was though almost completely quiet.  Normally I would hear the call of a Wren, or the song of a Robin, or a Blackbird would fly across in front of me, but today, all I heard were two calls from an invisible Chiffchaff.

From the wood I headed to the pond, as I approached I could see two Moorhens on the water, and walking around the outside I first found six Mallard.



Then a little further round another two.  There were six drakes and two ducks, the ducks seemingly paired up.  This is now the highest count here, eight.  The high numbers usually peak around the this week of October, so there is still time for the numbers to build up.

Again it was quiet around the pond so I walked on, and came across a patch of trees where there were repeated Chiffchaff calls, and also those belonging to Blue and Great Tits.  I decided to stand and wait to see if something would show.  I had some brief views of the tits, but I was hoping to see the warblers.  One flew out to catch a fly, but disappeared back into the leaves.

Finally I managed some brief views of a Chiffchaff as it moved through the branches.



I waited but I was not going to get a better view, and as it had started to rain again.  Walking on I headed back down toward the school.  In the field were Woodpigeons feeding, and another Pheasant close to the hedges.

I turned up Gradwell, again in silence, and in fact all the way home I can't recall any bird song or calls at all.  The dry spell though had come to an end, and the drizzle had returned, so I should be thankful that at least I had some time out.  Not much to show for it though, and I hope October does not continue where September left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.