Friday 20 June 2014

20th June - Being Beside You When We Grow Old

As promised the Moth Trap went out last night, and unlike England it delivered!  Seven new moths for the garden, including some pretty spectacular ones, and of the rest there were a few that just could not keep away.

The majority were Heart and Dart, and Large Yellow Underwing, but as I carefully picked my way through the egg boxes some interesting species turned up.  There were two Cinnabars, but this was the only one to stay.



Next up was a Clouded Border, now these moths never transfer to another surface very well so I took the picture on the egg box before I even tried, which was a good thing because as soon as I tried to move it, it was gone.



The next moth was one of four in the trap, I have caught this species before, but have not been able to photograph it to identify it.  This is a Clouded Brindle I believe.



Another moth from yesterday that I didn't identify, but this one is a little lighter and I think this is a Heart and Club.



While this one is either an Uncertain, or a Rustic, I am going for Rustic because the spots are more rounded tan the oval shape I have seen on the Uncertain plates, but as always if you have a different view please let me know..



Another new moth, this is a Grey Arches, a little tatty though on the wing.



I didn't immediately see this one, and I think it must be yesterdays returning to the enticing night club lighting.  I just couldn't resist more photographs of a spectacular moth, the Elephant Hawk Moth



Something smaller, but in its own way quite beautiful is the Footman.



Another surprise because I only found as I was clearing away is this new moth, The Miller.



Now to the stars of this morning's show.  At first thought this was a Poplar Hawkmoth, a species I had caught earlier in the year, as I moved it I noticed the eye markings on the hindwing.  This another new moth for me, the Eyed Hawkmoth.



At rest the moth blends well with the bark on which it normally rests, but when disturbed it raises its forewings and displays the large eye spots on the hindwings.  It may lift its body up and down too and this is enough to scare off birds and other predators.  While flying it does not feed.



It was a little upset with me, and would vibrate the wings, hence the slight blur in the lower wing in this photograph, but you can see the eye that gives it the name.


The Hawkmoth for once did not make today's top moth, that honour goes to a smaller moth, that had me guessing for an identification.  This was mainly because I had photographed it in a position in which it is not shown in all the books.

Here it is the Lesser Swallow Prominent



A gorgeous combination of deep browns and silver.  A striking looking moth that is usually depicted as sitting like this.



With the butterfly gap, and the birds busy with their young in amongst the leaves and foliage, the moths are continuing to deliver, and keep me and I hope you entertained.  The moth trap has become a real insight into a previously unknown world, a world that I now know is one of extreme beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.