Wednesday 26 May 2021

16th - 28th May - Butterflies and Owls

The cold wet spring continued into the second half of May, when we were treated to the sunshine it was brief but warm, but only served as a reminder of what we should be experiencing.

The weather was having an influence on the wildlife around Four Marks, comparisons with previous years showing how much the weather directs what goes on.  As I write this it is nearing the end of May and there has still not been any sign of the House Martins that usually nest around the housing estate, I do not recall a year when I haven't seen them in place by at least the middle of May.  Butterflies too have been in short supply and on the odd occasion I deem to put the moth trap out the return is measly to non existent.

However what the weather has done is to extend the flowering time of the bluebells in Old Down Wood, with them still being in a good condition well into the tird week of the month.


The wood though is benefiting, the dry April had it looking a little tired for spring but now after the rain of May it has taken on a lush green appearance.


By the end of May the Tawny Owl seems to leave the usual tree so I took the opportunity to visit him on the 18th of the month.  Fortunately it was showing well with not too many branches in the way.



I have yet, in all the 10 years, not managed to find the nest hole or to see any youngsters, the closest I have come to this is hearing their calls


I edged a little too close and it turned away from me, it didn't fly off as I expected it to, but just turned its head to reveal the large dark, inky black eyes.


As I walked away not wanting to disturb the owl more I wondered  to myself if this would be the last time I see it this year and would I see it again next year.

Walking the path that leads to Old Down Cottage I noticed a single Red Campion flower the first I had seen in the wood this year.  The change over from Blue to red as late as the flowers this year.


As I left the wood that day a Blackcap was still singing from the branches of the tree near to what was a very wet and muddy entrance path.


At Swellinghill Pond the number of Mallard was rising once again.  I counted nine drake Mallard and a couple of females.  I liked the reflection of this drake in the still and high water of the pond.


Back home there is was lull in the breeding activity of the Robins for the early part of the reporting period.  My tame bird would come towards the end of the afternoon, early evening and I can only assume she was sitting on eggs.  The Wren would appear at the same time to take advantage of the meal worms.

At the end of the month I was proved right as the frantic begging for meal worms has begun, we have to run the gauntlet of the Robins as we walk through the kitchen.  They know we are there and as they perch on the patio table they make you feel guilty and you just have to feed them.

A welcome visitor on the 20th during a spell of sunshine was a female Orange-tip butterfly.  Found it nectaring on the aubretia in the garden.


As I mentioned earlier butterflies have been conspicuous by their absence in the dreadful weather we have been having, and none more so than the Orange-tip, so I took the opportunity to get some photographs.




It seems incredible that we are now almost into June, it is as if the year has never really started, a combination of Lockdown since the start of the year and the cold weather through April and May has combined to make the time fly by without really doing anything.  But here we are 4 weeks away from the longest day.  What will June bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.