Friday 11 July 2014

11th July - I'll Let You Listen To The Music You Like

Over the last few weeks the number of Starlings around the house and garden has steadily built up.  As the birds fledge and move away from the need to be fed by the parents the juveniles have got together, and cruise the neighbourhood like teenage school kids on the school holidays.

Last night saw a collection of these "teenage" Starlings gathering on the TV aerial and roof of the house opposite.  It was just before the sun set, and time for roost, and they were jabbering and chattering away to each other.


We still have nests in the roof tops around the estate, and there will be more joining this rabble, who I am sure cruise around up to know good.  I wonder what the size of the flock will be like in the winter, over the last few years the numbers have definitely increased.

Some more new moths from the moth trap overnight, nothing of the size and colour of the  large hawk-moths, but this time more about small and delicate beauty.

These are all the new ones, this one is The Engrailed.


While this one is the Small Emerald with a gorgeous washed green colour.


The last of the macro moths is the Beautiful Hook-tip, definitely living up to its name.


The remainder are what are known as micro moths, and these are all less than a centimetre long.  Identification is difficult, and there is always the chance I have got it wrong, if you know I have please let me know.  

First up is the V-Pug, and I am confident this is correct.


Then the Barred Fruit Tree Tortrix


The next two only have Latin Names, and the first is quite a mouthful, Pseudargyrotoza Conwagna


And this beautifully marked moth is I think Catoptria Pinella


Finally one that I have not been able to identify despite the definite spots on the wings, any ideas please let me know.


The forecast for the weekend is indifferent, and I will wait to see if I can get out, mean while the garden is still busy with the Blackbirds, and today I saw the tail less female with a beak full of worms, so they may have yet another brood, which would be the fourth this year.  Both House Martin nests have young, and the adults are constantly flying in and out chattering away as they do so.

Watch out for those teenagers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.